Wednesday’s WoW – Masi Levarie Soave Classico DOC 2010

Masi Levarie SoaveA Surprise Find

Masi Levarie Soave Classico DOC 2010, is a very flavourful Soave, a pleasant surprise for a Soave at the very reasonable price of $11.95 at the LCBO.

Soave is a white wine from the Veneto region of Italy.  It’s usually a blend of two or more grapes, but it must be at least 70% Garganega, with the remaining 30% being made up of one or more of Trebbiano di Soave, Pinot Bianco, and Chardonnay.   Wines labelled Soave Classico are usually the best examples and come from the original Soave area that was delimited in 1927.  In 1968, with the introduction of the DOC, the Soave region was expanded enormously, thus those vineyards in the original area became known as Classico.  Soave Classico traditionally has lower yields and the blend generally contains more Garganega, which is considered the superior Soave grape.

Winemaking

Masi Levarie Soave Classico DOC 2010 is made up of 85% Garganega and 15% Trebbiano di Soave.  The name Levarie refers to east-facing slopes of the Soave Classico region where the grapes benefit from the cool morning sunshine.  Twenty percent of the grapes are criomacerated for 24 hours at 5°C, and the remaining 80% are fermented traditionally in stainless steel tanks.  Malolactic fermentation is partially completed and the wine is aged for 4 months in stainless steel vats, with 20% aged in oak barrels.

Tasting Note

Masi Levarie Soave Classico DOC 2010 has very pleasant aromas and flavours of white peach, melon, citrus, pear, almond, and white blossoms. It’s medium bodied and juicy on the palate, with a good length and a nutty finish.  As with most Soave’s, this wine is ready to drink now and is not intended to be aged.  Pair it with baked or poached fish dishes, vegetables drizzled with olive oil, or chicken salad.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: